Queer Love, Baby

I am delighted that gay marriage is now legal in all American cities. Hopefully, this triumph will lead to more victories in cases of employment and housing discrimination aim'd at my queer sisters & brothers. The timing of this decision by ye Supreme Court is delicious, as this is Gay Pride Week-end, and I suspect that Sunday's pride parade is going to be one big-ass party of celebration & self-esteem. I no longer attend pride celebrations because of my diseased heart condition and inability to walk for any great length of time; but I must confess that I feel a real urge to be at the march this Sunday, just to soak up the positive vibes of love and joy.

However, as a queer Mormon, I feel that my place Sunday will be at church, because the church is very very anti-gay marriage. I once went to church and found, on a table in ye foyer, wee leaflets that proclaimed "Protect traditional marriage". My constant mental response to this is: "Protect traditional marriage from what?" How cou'd my marriage, if it ever occur'd, effect any heterosexual marriage. If I got marry'd, how cou'd it have any effect on my buddy S. T. Joshi's marriage to his charming and lovely wife, Mary? This bizarre and sick idea that gay marriage will affect straight marriage needs to be quashed.So, I suspect to hear some anti-gay marriage sentiments when I attend church this Sunday, and that makes me feel, more than ever, that I need to be at church so that my brothers and sisters there can see an extremely joyous and proud gay Mormon who is indeed celebrating the fact that queer marriage is now the law of the land. I need to be there to counter the sad frowns of discouraged bigotry, to smile and exude pure joy.

Cristien and I have the gay pride flag flying over our front porch. We are happy to declare that this household is a queer household. I am one happy queen to-day!


Comments

  1. Marriage is a Constitutional issue - forget the sanctity and the church and religion - marriage has nothing to do with those things. Marriage is about insurance and inheritance. It's about being able to take care of your spouse after you die. It's about how you file your taxes. It's about how you set up your mortgage. It's about a couples finances.

    I'm happy the Supreme Court saw it my way. I'm not gay, but common sense denotes that same sex marriage should be legal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts